Research Agenda at PAUWES
The mission of PAU and PAUWES is to serve Africa as scientific arm of the African Union for the implementation of its Agenda 2063. As young and impact-oriented institution, it is clear that on the spectrum between pure science and application, research at PAUWES commits to having a strong application-oriented focus. PAUWES defines its role of being able to offer world class research that is not only demand-driven but also innovative and creative at the same time. A key role of PAUWES is seen in providing science-based advice to policy makers at a national, regional and pan-african level. In addition to PAUWES providing scientific knowledge for existing strategies, PAUWES positions itself as a think-tank and leader in shaping future strategies. The research agenda at PAUWES is driven by the following objectives and goals:
- PAUWES should focus on practice-oriented thematic research as well as research dealing with socio-economical, nexus and interdisciplinary issues in the field of water, energy and climate change
- PAUWES will develop a framework incorporating innovative and creative mechanisms that link theory and practice to attract visiting scholars from around the world
- PAUWES will be positioned in such a way that it becomes the preferred partner of international and regional networks/institutions/funding organisations
- PAUWES will establish platforms for research and stakeholder dialogues
- PAUWES will develop new and strengthen already existing strategic networks and collaborations on the continent and beyond
- PAUWES will capitalise on the youth dividend on the continent and foster research leading to entrepreneurship or the creation of start-ups to generate employability and income in African countries.
The research agenda development process was funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and has been jointly developed with PAUWES.
The development of the PAUWES research agenda was organised in three working groups with more than 50 scientific experts from Africa and beyond in the areas of water, energy, and climate change.
Click here to fill the following information/cooperation form and download the PAUWES research agenda